23.11.09

Hymn Blooper!!!

The fourth Sunday of every month, I play the organ for sacrament meeting, and this last Sunday was no different. And I had practiced more than usual this month, so I thought I was ready... thought being the key word.
Most weeks, there are no congregational hymns, just the three regulars. Well, lucky me, on November's fourth Sunday, there was a congregational hymn. So I stayed up on the stand during the talks (like I do every organ Sunday) and got ready to dash to the keyboards as soon as the second speaker was done.
All was going well- I made it to the organ on time, got it turned on and switched like I wanted relatively fast, and I turned to page 140. Little did I know that the hymn I was supposed to play was page 241.
I had played the introduction to the hymn, and looked over to the chorister to see when to start. But she gave me a funny look, and I realized I was playing the wrong hymn. I instantly thought, "Oh, page 141." And I played the intro to that. By now there were a few smiles throughout the congregation, and I was pretty frustrated. I couldn't figure out what was going on.
Then, it hit me- 241.
So I just laughed and moved on. And that small little thing got me a ton of comments, and compliments.

Tip for the future: If you ever make a mistake, particularly if that mistake is in front of a lot of people, just laugh and move on. Trust me, it's SO much easier than being embarrassed. ;)

Another totally random thing:
You know how some of the composers or authors of the hymns are "Anonymous", and they abbriviate that "Anon."? I used to look through the hymn book and think, "Wow, this guy 'Anon' really knew how to write!" :D

2 comments:

  1. See? This is how I felt when I got lost. I mean really. EVERY SUNDAY someone HAS to comment on it. It's not like I'm the only one to get lost or anything >.<

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol! you're not the only one to get lost, just the only one anybody knows about. And it's kind of funny that you got lost when there were signs....

    ReplyDelete